Monday 20 October 2014

Tell me a story!


Telling stories brings back happy memories to us all.  For me sitting on my grandfather’s lap and listening to the ‘Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe’ in his cosy living room is one of my happiest childhood memories.  Then there is sitting with my children and trying not to doze off as I read ‘The Elephant and the Bad Baby’ for the umpteenth time.  Story telling seems to be a vital part of all cultures.  It serves to entertain, to build relationship, to share truth and to instil values.

Travelling recently in China I was struck again by the power of stories.  Firstly there was the case of the missing suitcase!  One of our cases was lost enroute and took 4 days to be reunited with us.  I shared with my hosts how this reminded me of another story of a man who lost a sheep (Luke 15:1-7) and how that story teaches us about the love of God.  Our translator was so interested that she shared the story at the final banquet with our hosts from the college and hospital, who shared a common historical story with a BMS missionary from the late 1800s.

Later on our trip we visited the historic city of Weifang where Eric Liddell, of ‘Chariots of Fire’ fame, died in a Japanese Internment camp during the Second World War.  It was good to spend time with a friend who regularly visits the recently opened memorial park to share something of the remarkable story of Eric Liddell.

All this led me to reflect upon the story-telling of Jesus throughout his ministry.  He used stories to great effect, to impart wisdom, to challenge thought, to share values and to encourage faith.  All this has left me encouraged to make better use of stories in sharing faith with others. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment