Monday 20 October 2014

Reading the Bible through a mission lens

There is a danger that we domesticate our reading of the Bible.  What I mean is that we read it from a self-centred and self-interested perspective.  The lens that we read it through is can become exclusively pastoral, looking for personal blessing in a self-focused way.  This is not to say that the Bible does not speak to us in a pastoral way that brings us a fullness of life that is intensely personal way.  However, my concern is that if we only come with this lens we miss out on much more of the richness of scripture.
Studying at All Nations Christian College was a significant part of my journey in reading scripture in a different way through more of a mission lens.  In all of our biblical studies we were encouraged to read with a focus upon the underlying story of God’s mission, his continual reaching out with mercy and compassion to humanity.
More recently I was invited to speak at a commissioning service of a family going out with BMS to serve in India.  I am always delighted to be at such special occasions, and usually focus upon certain passages that have a very obvious mission focus.  However, on this occasion I was asked to stick with the lectionary reading from Judges 2.  Initially I was a little concerned as to how I would approach this without twisting the text to say something that wasn’t there.  My fears were quickly allayed as I read the text and saw again that great mission narrative shining through in clear and obvious ways.  There was God’s continual seeking and saving his lost people even when they stray far away.  Then there was God’s pattern of calling and sending out his people as his messengers of grace and love.
Can I suggest that when we read any passage we do so through a mission lens and ask what God is saying about his mission to the world and our part in this great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment